Policies & Guidelines
AUTO FUEL POLICY
1.1 Auto Fuel Policy-2003
- The Govt. of India constituted a Committee of Experts on September 13, 2001 under the chaim,anship of Dr. R. A. Mashelkar, DG, CSIR to recommend an Auto Fuel Policy for the country.
- The Committee recommended the following road map for upgradation of fuel quality in the country apart from other recommendations:
- BS-III standard auto fuels for 13 identified cities & BS-II standard auto fuels for rest of the country w.e.f. 1.4.2005
Due to production, import & other logistics constraints, the actual implementation was phased over six months for different states / locations i.e. up to September 2005.
- BS-IV auto fuels (MS/HSD) in NCR & 13 identified cities from 01.04.2010
Implemented w.e.f. 01.04.2010 in NCR-Delhi (comprising of 108 towns, of which 17 are class I cities), Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Kanpur, Agra, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Lucknow & Sholapur
- BS-III auto fuels (MS/HSD) in the rest of the country from 01.04.2010
As per the revised approval of the Government, implemented in a staggered manner between April 01, 2010 and September 22, 2010 due to production and logistic issues involved.
- MoP&NG has decided to go beyond Auto Fuel Policy recommendations & to expand BS-IV auto fuels to 50 more cities by March 2015 with preference to most polluted cities, state capitals & cities with million plus population subject to logistics constraints.
- The ministry has constituted a Committee under Addi. Director, Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell (PPAC) for identifying these cities.
- BS-IV fuels have already been expanded to 26 cities identified by the Committee till 2013-14.
- 7 cities i.e. Puducherry, Mathura, Vapi, Jamnagar, Ankleshwar, Hissar & Bharatpur in 2011-12.
- 6 cities i.e. Silvasa, Daman, Diu, Aligarh, Rae Bareilly & Unnao in April to October 2012.
- 4 cities i.e. Kamal, Kurukshetra, Yamunanagar & Valsad on 01.03.2013.
- 3 cities i.e., Medak, Nizamabad and Mehbub Nagar on 5.7.2013.
- 6 cities i.e Vrindavan, Kosi Kalan, Hindaun city, Dholpur, Ahmednagar, Mahabaleshwer on 1.1.2014.