The Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas is concerned with exploration and production of Oil & Natural Gas, refining, distribution and
marketing, import, export and conservation of petroleum products.
Oil and Gas being the important import for our economy, many initiatives have been taken by the Ministry for increasing production and
exploitation of all domestic petroleum resources to address the priorities like Energy Access, Energy Efficiency, Energy Sustainability and
Energy Security. Following initiatives have been taken up by the Ministry:-
- Hydrocarbon Exploration Licensing Policy.
- National Data Repository.
- Discovered Small Field Policy.
- 2D Seismic Survey.
- Natural Gas Grid and City Gas Distribution.
- Refineries and Auto Fuel Vision and Policy.
- Implementation of BS-IV & BS-VI.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana and PAHAL.
- Gram Swaraj Abhiyan and Extended Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan.
- Direct Benefit Transfer Kerosene.
- National Policy on Biofuels 2018.
- Compressed Bio Gas Plants.
- Neighborhood First Policy.
Following are the important areas of work allocated to the Ministry
- Exploration for, and exploitation of petroleum resources, including natural gas and Coal Bed Methane, gas hydrates and shale
- Production, supply, distribution, marketing and pricing of petroleum, including natural gas, Coal Bed Methane and petroleum
- Oil refineries, including Lube Plants.
- Additives for petroleum and petroleum products.
- Blending and blending prescriptions for bio-fuels including laying down the standards for such blending.
- Marketing, distribution and retailing of bio-fuels and its blended products.
- Overall coordination concerning bio-fuels, National Policy on Bio-fuels, policy/scheme for supporting manufacturing of bio-
fuels, setting up of a National Bio-fuel Development Board and strengthening the existing institutional mechanism and research, development
and demonstration on transport, stationary and other applications of biofuels.
- Lube Blending and greases
- Conservation of Petroleum products.
- Planning, development, control and assistance to all industries dealt with by the Ministry.
- Strengthening energy security by acquiring oil and gas equity abroad and participation in transnational oil and gas pipeline
- Planning, development and regulation of oilfield services.
- Creation and administration of strategic petroleum reserve through Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Limited (ISPRL).
- Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell (PPAC).
- All attached or subordinate offices or other organization concerned with any of the subjects specified in the list, including
Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH), Centre for High Technology (CHT), Oil Industry Development Board (OIDB), Petroleum
Conservation Research Association (PCRA), etc.
- Administration of Engineers India Limited, including their subsidiaries and joint ventures
- Public sector project falling under the subject included in this list except such projects which are specifically allotted to any
other Ministry / Department